2.16.2007

dreamhouse

Had a dream last night that Sara Brooks was around and so was her friend Trevor. I thought he was cute and told her so found out that he was the first boy Sara had sex with and he was from Washington state. I asked Sara why he had a really cool Oklahoma tattoo with a star on Tulsa and she got upset because he stole that tattoo from her. She had one on her upper back just below her neck that looked like a messy woodblock print of a bird and a house.

I worked for a bookstore and for the library and my schedules were getting mixed up. A girl I know from highschool was having a big party and I was invited and I had to rush around to try to get there. It turned out that I didn’t have to work at the library at the same time as the bookstore, I found out on the facebook because Sherman told me in a video message. My mom had some kind of art show party that I was missing or needed to go to.

I got to the bookstore and it was a Christian store. I’d been in once before with my huge art history book and I looked at shelves and the owners and their kids. They played bad Christian music. I was afraid at first that they would think I was stealing the art book but I soon got over it. The place was open but crowded with sub-par books: change your life through Christ shit and children’s adventure novels. There were needlepoints framed on the wall and stuffy pink and faded yellow armchairs. The stereo was by the front door where there was a table and some chairs. The register was in the back, up a bit from the rest of the store on a kind of side platform.

I left in my yellow Volvo. When I came in to actually work there, the owner was a skinny older man with gray hair. He told me that they had some music to play if I wanted to… “megan…” something. Some Christian smooth crap. He didn't train me and when tgey left he and his son were in the car and I asked questions but they were babysitting questions and their kids were going with them. I played my own music and my sister and brother (Seth) came to visit. In the other room (the bookstore was in a church that looked not unlike a house) there was a dormitory barely distinguishable from my viewpoint by the metal beds on the wall. A half naked black man was walking around like he lived there and looked like hed just gotten out of the shower and I was very confused. Havilah had to point out the dormitory to me and explain why he was there. There was a woman too and a social worker who they talked to on the stairs but I never saw the social worker; she was only implied by sound. Seth having disappeared when the black man and his friend appeared, Havilah and I left the bookstore… my shift may or may not have finished but that didn’t matter: it was time to go. At the library we talked to people -but not really there was no actual conversation- at the circulation desk and girls went in and out. I felt claustrophobic. There was some bright green somewhere, and pinks. Probably on someone’s shirt, but that part was important. A girl confronted me with her eyes about listening in on her conversation.

The girl from highschool would call to confirm my rsvp and I’d have to call her to say I would be late. Dad was in the dream somewhere and a house I didn’t know.

No comments: